Wednesday, May 18, 2016

unreservedly anticipating the new monkees album

Earlier this month I wrote a post in which I expresseed my cautious optimism about the forthcoming Monkees album, Good Times!. That optimism was based on the strength of the single, "She Makes Me Laugh," which was made available via Youtube.

Now they've put another song, "You Bring the Summer," on Youtube.


It's not quite as good as "She Makes Me Smile," but it does have the right type of pop sensibility that I was hoping for, and that was missing from the past Monkees reunions. In short, this sounds like a classic Monkees song.

That said, I note that it was written by XTC's Andy Partridge and it does sound a bit like a bubblegum version of XTC. Which kind of makes sense, I guess.

The bottom line, though, is that I am no longer cautious in my optimism. I am unreservedly anticipating the new album.

No comments:

Post a Comment