Tuesday, May 24, 2016

a plea from a pulitzer prize winner

I have to acknowledge that Frank McCourt was among the most popular teachers in my high school. That said, I was not one of his favorite students; he and I butted heads quite a bit. This video was made around four years after I graduated, before he became a famous author, and winner of a Pulitzer. I think it's clear from the video that he didn't remember me.

This was on the internet well before I met my wife, having been posted by a friend. Despite Frank's pleas, we did not invite him to our wedding. I know lots of people like having celebrities at their weddings (if they can arrange it). But the wedding should be about the couple getting married, and the presence of a celebrity only serves to distract.


No comments:

Post a Comment