Wednesday, May 4, 2016

three thoughts from phantom

Ethan and I saw Phantom of the Opera  on Broadwaylast night. Thanks, mom, for the tickets.

I'm not going to attempt to review it here, since m,any people who are more eloquent and more experienced have reviewed it already. But I do have three comments to make.

1) I have seen a bunch of Broadway shows before. I'm not a regular at the theatres, but I've seen enough that I'd have trouble trying to list all of them on the spot. I have never seen such spectacle at a Broadway show. The pyrotechnics, the moving set pieces. This is an extremely creative production. I remember feeling that Miss Saigon had amazing spectacle. But this easily topped it.

2) Before the show, the woman two seats over from me turned to the women behind her and warned them about an effect they should be aware of and prepared for, sitting where they were. I had been unaware, and her warning ruined the surprise for me. I think I would have enjoyed that moment a lot more had I not known it was coming. It's sort of like telling movie-goers the plot twist to The Crying Game or The Sixth Sense. Well, maybe not quite that extreme. But ou get the idea. Incidentally, I am not saying what the effect was, in case anyone reading this is unaware of the effect and plans to see Phantom. That said, when I mentioned it to Blair she told me that it's a well-known thing. Sort of like throwing toast at The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

3) During the number, "Music of the Night," I couldn't help but thinking that it sounded like a duet from a Meat Loaf album.

No comments:

Post a Comment