Monday, May 23, 2016

lpt: how to thwart the windows 10 upgrade

I admit that I don't really understand all the hoo-hah over Windows 10. What I mean is, I don't know what issues there are with it and why a lot of people don't like it.

What I do know is that Microsoft keeps trying to get (one might even say force) everyone to upgrade, Many people don't like that -- though it's unclear to me whether that's because Windows 10 actually sucks, because a lot of computers still being used aren't capable of running it efficiently, or because people just don't like being told what to do.

At any rate, all of our computers are running either Windows 7 or 8. I like 7, and have fortunately never been forced to try 8, which seems to be a more-radical change than a lot of the others have been. I probably won't switch until my work computers (i.e., the ones my employer provides, and which I actually use for my job) are replaced. No one in the house wants to upgrade, but the computers keep trying.

Fortunately, I have found a reasonably simple way to thwart the upgrades. I've done this twice. In both instances the computers began the upgrade process without human permission (though in one case I think the computer had feline permission -- another story). I don't shut off or unplug the computer. I don't throw bricks at it. I let it go through the process, and wait for the Terms of Service window to pop up. Then I simply decline. Another window, this one slightly more pleading, pops up. When I still decline, the computer reverts to the prior version of Windows.

Disclaimer: This worked for me. Don't blame me if it doesn't work for you. Also, if at some point Microsoft ends support for older versions and starts charging for the upgrade, don't get angry at me. Finally, if you get and upset stomach, it's not my fault.



No comments:

Post a Comment