Sunday, May 29, 2016

exactly who is going where?

One song that I like from the 1980s is "Bitchin' Camaro" by the Dead Milkmen (from the Big Lizard in My Backyard album.

One feature of the song is the fact that it starts with a conversation about driving down to the shore. Interestingly, that conversation goes on for more than half the length of the track.

But what's always gotten me -- "bothered" is too strong a word, but it does offend my sense of aesthetics -- is the way the two characters who are speaking switch roles.

Listen carefully. For lack of better names, I will say that the conversation is between Steve and Joe. Steve starts. Fifteen seconds in, Joe says that he's going down to the shore. But at about 1:35 Steve says it's important that Joe ask him how he's going down to the shore.

This has been on my mind since 1985.


No comments:

Post a Comment