Friday, October 27, 2017

on being a nonpracticing orthodox jew

Something I like to tell people jokingly  that I am a nonpracticing Orthodox Jew. I know I've mentioned it at least once in this blog. The self-description usually elicits chuckles or surprised looks. But, while I say it with a touch of humorous intent, the fact is it's true.

It's funny because people equate practicing Judaism with being Orthodox and not practicing Judaism with being Reform or Conservative*. That, in turn, is because Orthodox Jewish practice includes a lot of ritual, while Reform Judaism doesn't. Similarly religiosity is equated with Orthodoxy.

But the fact is that, despite being nonreligious (and therefore nonpracticing), I am more comfortable in an Orthodox synagogue and service than in a Conservative or Reform one.

In addition, I am uncomfortable with the notion that Reform Jews are, by definition, irreligious. Consider a Reform Rabbi. He or she goes to services on Saturdays and Holidays, and gives sermons at these services. During the week, he or she is spending his or her time on religious duties -- researching the sermons, ministering to the congregation, maybe serving as principal in a religious school. That kind of stuff. His or her life may not be built around the rituals that define Orthodox practice, but it's not fair to say that it's a nonreligious life.

And this actually speaks to something that I disagree with the rest of the world about. Most people think of Reform Judaism, Conservative Judaism and Orthodox Judaism as three branches of one religion. I tend to think of them as three different religions with common roots.

Orthodox Jewish practice involves a life largely governed by ritual. There are prayers to say when you get up in the morning, before and after eating (and the prayers vary depending on what food you eat), after using the bathroom, upon hearing thunder and upon seeing lightning. I had a teacher in junior high school who said that it wasn't a full day if he said fewer than 100 prayers. Every holiday has well-defined rituals that are effectively religious requirements -- fasting on Yom Kippur, eating in an outdoor booth on Sukkot, giving gifts of food on Purim. I could go on. Reform Judaism isn't structured around ritual the same way. To me, that makes them different.

And, having come of age attending an Orthodox school and going to Orthodox synagogues, that's where my comfort is. Even if I don;t believe in the theology or practice the rituals.

*Let's not get into Reconstructionist Judiasm. 

5 comments:

  1. Your comment on "life largely governed by ritual" struck me as not quite right. I think "ritual," at least to me, implies a sort of empty going-through-the-motions activity. I was going to try to explain how that is a misconception. But then - serendipitiously - I saw that someone else on a blog that I also read regularly just expressed it much better than I would have: http://www.rationalistjudaism.com/2017/10/a-sandwich-in-laguardia.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly didn't mean to imply an "empty going-through-the-motions activity." The first definition on dictionary.com reads "an established or prescibed procedure for a religious or other rite." That's pretty much what I meant. At any rate, I didn't mean to offend or insult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Religion is based on faith. You either have it or you don't. If a Jew has it, then why would he/she be anything other than an Orthodox Jew? It makes no sense to me why people feel comfortable practicing their own Chinese Menu versions of religions. Fast on Yom Kippur and ignore the Sabbath? Have a Passover Seder and work on Yom Tov? If you have faith, that would be a pretty bad way to honor it. I know some Jews who do nothing "Jewish" all year, but would lose an arm before they ate on Yom Kippur.

    As far as the Reform stuff, etc.,it's just another way for people to feel comforted by religion, but not be bothered with its tenets. I remember being told in Yeshiva, that it was better to practice nothing than to be a Reform Jew, based on the adoption of Christian elements. So no brownie points there.

    In summation, I say to Cafeteria Catholics, Reform Jews, Jews who choose the rituals they find appealing (mostly for the food), and all those who claim to be "spiritual" but not religious ( wtf is that other than something to put on dating sites), PLEASE develop the courage to admit that if you are not confessing your sins to a child predator (Catholics), or saying a long blessing after taking a dump (Jews), or never heard of the Dalai Lama ("spirituals"), that you are not really ANYTHING. I know it's hard. Lots of guilt to overcome. It's also not easy to admit that once you're gone, that's it. No afterlife where you meet your parents (hell) or Hugh Hefner (heaven).

    So, I remain,
    The Atheist Jew from Borough Park

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with a lot of what you said. If you believe in God, and that God wants you to follow the rules of Judaism, I don't see how you don't do your best to follow them. To a degree, that's why I consider myself "Orthodox" (albeit nonpracticing). I just can't find a comfort level with any other branch of Judaism. The laws of the Torah are immutable (ninth principle of Jewish faith, according to Rambam), but we don't need to obey them? Nuh uh.

      That said, there can be reasons to follow the rituals without believing in God. My parents lived near the Young Israel of Jamaica Estates (actually, we were founding members), and a good part of their social life was built on membership there (and in one of the shtieblach in the neighborhood). You can't really have a life in that social circle without living the Orthodox life. Some people who grew up Orthodox still practice it without believing because it gives them comfort or provides order. I do some of the mandated activities because I want to. I enjoy delivering sholoch manot baskets on Purim. And when my father died, I sat shiva and sought minyanim so I could say Kaddish. That gave me comfort. And it's what my father would have wanted. While I don't fast on Yom Kippur (except between bites) or beat my chest through the "Ashamnu, Bagadnu..." I see a certain value in setting aside a day to take stock of oneself and commit to trying to be a better person.

      At the risk of jumping around, I think "spiritual but not religious" is shorthand for "I believe that there's a God (or gods) and it's important to be ethical, but I don't think any of the organized religions have it right, so I'll just try to be a good person."

      Me, I'm an atheist, and don't believe there's any reward or punishment awaiting me after death. It's not a fun thought, but that's where I am. Who knows what I'll believe in the future?

      Delete
    2. Atheist Jew from BP:

      Sholom Aleichem.

      "No afterlife where you meet your parents (hell) or Hugh Hefner (heaven)."

      Hugh Hefner, heaven? Parents, hell? I'm not sure what you've been through and I wouldn't presume to judge you, but that's a pretty big peckeleh, you're carrying around.

      Have a good Shabbos. You deserve one.

      An Orthodox Jew from (also originally)from BP

      Delete