Saturday, October 28, 2017

mystery solved i: me and katz's pastrami

I love pastrami. That's no secret. I have, on numerous occasions, declared that pastrami is the first fundamental deli meat.

And yet for some reason I never liked pastrami from Katz's Delicatessen. That's odd because Katz's is one of the iconic Kosher-style* delis. In fact, with the closing of the Carnegie Deli almost a year ago, Katz's may be the number one pastrameteria in New York (or the world). And yet, I don't like their pastrami. Yes, I said it. I don't like Katz's pastrami.

The question is why. I don't take this matter lightly. If everyone thought it was the best and I liked  it but thought others were better, that would be one thing. But people seem to think it's the best, and I think it's disgusting. I have tried it a few times over the years, always because I had some insane belief that I must have been mistaken, and I'll like it this time.

My complaint isn't the flavor. It's the texture. The seasoning is good. The smokiness is good. But it's too chewy. Like trying to eat a rubber glove.

I mentioned it to Ethan, since he's the food guy in the family. He explained it to me -- Katz's uses the beef navel instead of the brisket. I remember when Ethan tried cooking navel. I  couldn't enjoy it because it was way too chewy. Just like Katz's pastrami.

Duh.

Now I just have to go back to Katz's and see if I like their corned beef. If it's not made from the navel, I might like it.


*It's unclear to me whether a place that serves reubens and cheeseburgers can legitimately be called kosher style. But, whatever...

No comments:

Post a Comment