Tuesday, October 10, 2017

names

We spent last Saturday in Connecticut at a veterans event in Connecticut, representing Stack-Up at the Cove Island Retreat for veterans. The event was the brainchild of Daniel Karger who wants to support veterans with PTSD. The event was run by LZ 4 Vets (Landing Zone for Vets, that is). My understanding is that LZ 4 Vets will have its own website soon, but in the meantime they are represented here.
James Sparrow

The event largely consisted of lunch in the park, with live music. Karger explained to me that he wants the vets -- particularly those with PTSD to have things to do, to know that there are people who care and places to turn. He's hoping that this will be an annual event. We were there representing Stack-Up, handing out information and giving swag to anyone who could do thirty pushups in one minute.

I think the most moving part of the day was when James Sparrow read a poem he wrote called "Names." I can't do it justice, so I am reproducing it here (with his permission).

In the season of the fall
We rendezvoused in 82
In the city Of the commander in chief
For a week long   A quarter million strong
 Some came silently and solo
 Others came with Fanfare And entire families
 It was to be the great gathering! This time we would be heard!
 And we would march in the streets!
 It belonged to us--That city--That week
 Many came still whole and still very strong
 Others came weak from fierce firefights Far off the battlefield!
 Some came missing an arm--a leg--an eye Paralyzed!!
 We came to honor Those--who marched in our ranks no longer
 We would bury our dead With dignity
In Per-pe-tu-i-ty
 A Chevron--500 feet long
A monumental black granite  Memorial Etched--with the names of those who now patrolled with that huge army in the heavens Names!!--57,939
This would be the shield! That we bore their bodies home on As befitting the warriors they were
 We came to see--hear--touch--The Names
 We came in tight fitting uniforms--Faded field jackets-- 3 piece suits
 We came from the big cities and the small towns We came from the low valleys and the mountains We came from the farm lands--the range lands--the wood lands
 We came with long hair--short hair--clean shaven--bearded
 No longer did we look the same as we had when we talked the talk! and walked the walk! Up all night--in fancy hotel bars Intricate handshakes That dazzled the eye and ear.
  Laughin--cryin--huggin--kissin Crowed conversations clutter the air “Semper Fi” “Airborne all the way” “Anyone here served with 3/7 in 67” “Hey Remember me?” First Cav right here “Man, am I glad you made it back, all this time I thought you got zapped!” “What happened after I rotated?” “Did short round make it back?” Glasses clink, with arms held high . A midnight toast “Here’s to the best there ever was, and those of us that are left”.
 We were still young but old beyond our years for we had walked in the footsteps of giants
 Now we gathered--to see--hear--touch--The Names! To dedicate--consecrate-- Our name ladened marble memorial.
 For 3 days before A vigil we held by the light of candles In the National Cathedral From the altar Read aloud Names--57,939 More then 100 of us read the Names Friends and family members from thousands of miles away.
  They came to hear the names The name of a buddy--brother--lover--son--husband It was my turn In the evening of the second day To read aloud names Every pew--full Standing room only A solemn task I knelt on the altar A velet pillow--beneath my knees A sea of faces--asembled before me.
 Names 523 names I read aloud. The first was Kosakowski, Gerald A. The last was Lahna, Gary W. I read a name and receive a reaction from soft murmurs to hysterical pain I became those names all 523 Koo-he-e-nooe, Moses I. Kos-ko-vich, Michael L. LaChance--LaChapelle--LaClear--LaFlair LaRosa--Lackey--Lackland--Labowski--Lafferty I read 2 Lafayettes--3 Kowalskis--7 Laceys 7 Krafts--10 Kruegers And 12 Kramers Arthur-Dennis-Douglas-Howard-James-John- Joseph-Kevin-Leon-Ray Ámond-Robert and Stephen Kramer!!
 Each Name opening wide the mind’s eye of memory Of who they were and who they could have been A man in a wheelchair Medal of Honor gracing his neck. Weeped.With the sound of some names Flowers were dropped at my knees Mothers kissed me Fathers touched me Sisters and lovers hugged me Brothers and buddies--shook me
  Names Kranz Jr., William F. His Mother stopped me When she heard his name Tears in her eyes--with a simple request My signiture next to his name I humbly oblige Teardrops from hundreds of eyes Tug at my soul My mind is flooded with the pain of so many Names My knees ache My body shakes--finished!! I need a hand --just to stand
  At week’s end We walk in the sun Marching along together again Thousands of feet hitting the pavement not in unison at all The same feet that waded the paddies in Que Son and climbed the hills in the central highlands The same feet that clamored out of choppers  And the same such feet that flew those birds and drove those trucks and built those bridges and stood endless watch against the terror of the night
  Short timers canes little American flags  Held high in the hand Sons and daughters perched high on shoulders that once bore the burden
 Chanting!!--Shouting!! while feet strode down the avenue “I don’t know--but I been told Streets in haven--are paved with gold” “Vietnam Vet and damn proud!!” “Pick up your head and hold it high 5th Marines are passing by” “Big red one!”-- “Tropic Lighting!” G.I. beans--GI gravy G I wish I joined the Navy “God Bless America” 7 “I know a girl who lives on the hill She won’t kiss me but her sister will” “Sound off--1-2--Sound off--3-4 Bring it on down 1-2-3-4 1-2--3-4”
  A high school band plays When Johnny comes marching home again--hoo ra--hoo ra A Parade--of emotions down Constitution Ave.--to the end of the mall Where our Wall--Mirrores reflections And contains the Names
 Boat people--Refugees--Vietnamese Line the top of the wall A banner in hand--Proclaming brightly “Thank you, Vietnam Veterans for Defending Freedom and Democracy” Speechless dignataries give speeches “An overdue tribute to those who performed well in the most trying of circumstances”
  We!! came to bury our dead with dignity in Per-pe-tu-i-ty We!! Need no tribute we know who we are . We!! Are the men of Bedford--Exeter--Warwick-- Talbot--Salisbury and Gloucester That fought alongside Harry the King Upon Saint Crispin’s Day We!! Are that same band of brothers That stood defiantly at Lexington!! Conquered the Argonne!! Sweated on the “Canal”!! Chilled to the bone in the “Bulge”!! And Froze in the reservoir know as Chosin!! Speeches!!
 We listen standing--pressed together elbow to elbow asshole to
  belly button We are one!! Our souls--stitched tightly together with the thick twine of shared experience We dedicate in a moment of silence then a surging forth in a search for names It’s done--it’s there for all the world to see--hear--touch The Names 57,939







No comments:

Post a Comment