Saturday, October 7, 2017

apple will never be my platform of choice

Reason number 4,785,678 that apple will never be my primary platform.

Before I begin, let me acknowledge that there's a whole lot to like about the iPad. Garage Band is a great program for playing with music. Asher loves the games available --apparently they're much better than the games available on an Android tablet. And the big screen is great. Also, Apple is really good with product design. Their devices have a great intuitive feel. I used to have an iPod, and it was remarkably easy for me to get the hang of it.

But they are terrible at customer service.

My iPad had a broken screen. Blair took it to the Apple Store in the Queens Center Mall, since we have their warranty. ApplePlus, I think they call it. The screen is shattered. The first guy she spoke to said he didn't see any problem. After she recovered from that, she was told it would be a two-hour wait for service. She didn;t have two hours to spare.

A few days later we went to the Apple Store in Grand Central. This time they didn't deny the existence of a problem, and the wait was only a half hour. Better. So we waited and eventually spoke to someone who processed the order of a replacement. It was a bit frustrating that we'd have to come back, but I guess I can't really be annoyed about that.

A few days later we came to pick up the replacement. The first person told me to go over "there" (she did gesture to indicate where "there" was) and tell her boss I was there for a pickup. So I went "there." Eventually the boss asked if I was there for a pickup. I said yes. She acknowledged that, and told me she'd help me in a minute. She then disappeared and never returned. Eventually Blair spoke to a different greeter who gave her different instructions. "Go there, tell that man with the iPad you're here for a warranty replacement."

OK...Why the different instructions? He explained that the first greeter probably misunderstood us. OK. I'll buy that. But why did the boss say she'll help us in a minute and then disappear? And I note that that had happened without anyone taking our name. At an Apple Store, standing there without having had your name taken is a sure way to get ignored.

I went off to be one step closer to my iPad, while Blair stayed to complain about the treatment we had received.

"I'm sorry," the guy told her.

"And what's that worth?" she asked.

He was puzzled. Didn't know what she meant.

"You said you're sorry. Monetize it." Waive the fee for replacing the iPad."

"I can't do that."

"Then what's your sorrow worth?"

"I'm giving you my time."

She pointed out that giving her his time was his job, and went to find me, waiting where I was told so that eventually the Apple Gods would fulfill their promise.

Anyway, I eventually got my replacement iPad.

All's well that ends well? I guess, but the whole experience leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. I've had to deal with Apple stores before, and it's always an unpleasant experience. The people don't seem to care, and they treat the customers like cattle. "Go here." "Wait there." And it seems like it's a lot of waiting to move from one place to another to wait some more. In many ways it's like the worst satire of the DMV.

Now, I get that there are things to like about Apple. As I said above, their products are well-designed. I used to have an iPod and found it to be very intuitively easy to use. But that doesn;t make up for the company treating me like shit. I'll stick to Android and Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment