Sunday, January 27, 2019

finally saw casablanca

For quite a while it has been a running gag in my cinema history class that I never saw the c;lassic, Casablance. Maybe that's too strong, but it has been noted and brought up occasionally. To be clear, I wasn't completely unfamiliar with the film -- I'd seen clips, and I'd been familiar with some of the better-known quotes (and misquotes). And I saw some other lines that I had been familiar with without knowing that they were from Casablanca. But, of course, that's not the same as seeing the film. At any rate, I finally borrowed the DVD from Joe and watched it.





Arguably, catching up on this particular bit of culture isn't really worthy of a blogpost, but I promised Joe that I'd write about it after I watch it. So, here we are. I should note that, I doubt that anything I have to say about the movie hasn't been said already (and probably more eloquently). So I'm not watching or reading any reviews before I write about it. I want my reaction here to be my reaction, uninfluenced (or influenced as little as possible) by what others have to say.

The dialogue is incredibly tight and clever. Three of my favorite examples:
Ugarte: You despise me, don't you?
Rick: Well, if I gave you any thought I probably would. 
Renault: Rick, there are many exit visas sold in this cafe, but we know that you never sold one. That is the reason we permit you to stay open.
Rick: Oh, I thought it was because I let you win at roulette.
Renault: That is another reason. 
Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.
The ending -- Rick selflessly sacrificing his chance to get away in order to help Ilsa and Victor reminds me of Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. It's not exactly the same, since there's a for-the-greater-good element, as opposed to it being purely for the good of the object of his affection. But the similarity is there, and I would be surprised if no one ever made the observation.

I was disappointed to see Ugarte disappear so quickly. It was a great role for Peter Lorre, even if his eyes hardly look bugged out at all.





Yes. It's a very good movie. Arguably a great movie. Is it among the best ever? That's hard to say -- for a couple reasons. First, I didn't watch it on a big screen in a darkened theater -- the way movies are supposed to be watched. I saw it on  my laptop, in a lighted room, with distractions all around me. Second, it was made in 1942, and was probably more original than it seems to me to be. I'm thinking in terms of Shakespeare, who's plays included all sorts of things that seem cliche specifically because they were copied so many times since.

But maybe I shouldn't be trying to figure out if it's one of the best. Perhaps the more important consideration is that it's a very important cultural touchstone. The number of pop culture references that track back to Casablanca is large, and (important for me), Bugs Bunny cartoons had a whole lot of homages to the movie.

7 comments:

  1. I’m happy for the part I played in your “losing your Casablanca-virginity”! For someone who enjoys cinema, you’ve spent far too long among the uninitiated!

    Yes, you may have seen it in the worst possible way – on a laptop, in a lighted room, with presumed family and/or work distractions – but you still saw it! I’ve never seen it in a theatre either – but a darkened living room and a big-screen TV are able substitutes! Come over and try it sometime!

    Finally, it must be one of the most quotable films ever! One might even say… THE most! And, of “all the quotes, in all the towns, in all the world” (sorry, couldn’t resist) you left out my personal favorite (lifted here from IMDB):

    Captain Renault: What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?
    Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.
    Captain Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.
    Rick: I was misinformed.

    And, the very-close-first-runner-up:

    Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
    Captain Renault: I'm shocked! Shocked to find that gambling is going on in here.
    [a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
    Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
    Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.
    [aloud]
    Captain Renault: Everybody out at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, those were two that I was considering. Especially the one about water and desert. I specifically remember appreciating that line when it was said. But I didn't want the whole post to be a bunch of Casablanca quotes.

      But that gives me an idea for the future. Maybe a post where I just present quotes from famous movies, and make it a quiz. Name the movies that the quotes came from. Getting the quotes is easy, since IMDB exists.

      Not today.

      Anyway, I will bring your disc back to you tomorrow (barring any of the three D's occuring).

      Delete
  2. There are more than enough great Casablanca quotes to fill any Blog post!

    If there is a film that is quoted or referenced - in so many different ways, rather than just one or two classic quotes - I'd like to know what it is!

    Great writing. Great directing. Great performances. Great Everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If there is a film that is quoted or referenced - in so many different ways, rather than just one or two classic quotes - I'd like to know what it is!"

    Star Trek V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps... But, you and I keep referencing the SAME QUOTE every time!

    Kirk: [to "God"] Excuse me... Excuse me... I just wanted to ask a question. What does God need with a starship?

    Shatner's best ever single line as Kirk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, there's Spock's line, as Kirk is clinging to a mountainside: "I don;t believe you realize the gravity of your situation."

    I actually reviewed Star Trek V for Cinemaphobia. I might have used a pseudonym like Q. Winston Brockmoore. I'll have to find the review.

    ReplyDelete