Sunday, November 28, 2021

stoopidstats: hits in n-year spans

I recently posted the first of my 2021 baseball stoopidstats posts. It was about the set of records for most homes run in an n-year span for positive integers n.

Stoopidstats enthusiast Emily Terwilliger Levatte suggested that it would be interesting to see the same treatment for hits. So here we are.

The process is essentially the same, and there's no reason it can't be performed for hits -- or strikesout, RsBI, triples, or any other discrete stat. That said, it did take longer to do hits than homes run. That's just a consequence of the numbers. I have a well defined process for deciding what players' careers to look at. Assuming I apply it correctly, I can rest assured that I haven't missed anything. When I was looking at homes run I had to consider 24 players' careers. For hits I had to consider 65.

Anyway, none of the records has changed since 2013. That was the year Ichiro Suzuki set the record for most hits in a 13-year span. The records are summarized below.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment