Sunday, May 15, 2022

video review -- watermelon phocus


 Tomorrow, May 16, Phocus is releasing its newest flavor, watermelon. Even though its official release isn't until tomorrow, it was possible to buy it in advance and feel special if you were willing to give Phocus your email address. So, since I'm getting in on this at a time before zero, I figure I may as well do a video review. The same thing happened with strawberry kiwi, which was the prior newest flavor. Except I didn't get around to doing a tasting/review video before the release. so I never posted one. 

By way of background, Phocus is caffeinated flavored seltzer. Each can has 75 mg of caffeine, which I am told is the equivalent of a cup of coffee. As a flavored seltzer, it is unsweetened. So no sugar and no artificial sweeteners.

Looking at Phocus' website, it appears that this is the thirteenth flavor, though I recall there being a "plain" flavor, which I don't see now.

Anyway my thoughts on the new watermelon flavor are above in the video. For the record, it is my new favorite. Below are quick comments about each of the others: I used a random number generator to decide what order to list them in. That seemed fair enough to me.

  • Cherry Cola
    Sharon's favorite. Eminently drinkable. Almost tastes sweet
  • Strawberry Kiwi
    Pretty good, though the strawberryness is somewhat artificial-tasting
  • Yuzu & Lime
    Until watermelon came out, this was my favorite. I guess it still is until tomorrow
  • Cola
    Meh. Tastes sort of like watered down cola. It's drinkable, but not much more
  • Cucumber
    Yuck. This is by far the worst. I will not drink it under any reasonably-foreseeable circumstances
  • Root Beer
    Sort of like cola, only root beer
  • Crisp Apple
    Very apple-tasting. I don't really care for it, but I'll drink it in a caffeine emergency
  • Mint
    More refreshing than I expected it to be. Not my favorite, but it's pretty good
  • Peach
    I don't like peach-flavored things, except those peach gummies. This isn't those, so it's undrinkable. Unless you like peach
  • Grapefruit
    I would have thought I'd like this more than I do. It's OK, I guess
  • Blood Orange
    Smack dab between Grapefruit and Yuzu & Lime is Blood Orange. It's drinkable, but not a favorite
  • Mixed Berry
    It tastes like it should be sweet, even though it isn't.
Anyway, enjoy. Or don't. I won't know. It's kosher, if that matters to you. Actually, it's kosher even if that doesn't matter to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment