Monday, November 29, 2021

cinema history class: count dracula

 

As always, there may be spoilers here. And the trailer may be NSFW and/or NSFL.

Session: The Blood is the Life, Mr. Harker (week 2)
Movie: Count Dracula (1970)
Directed by Jess Franco

Plot:
A lawyer travels from London to Transylvania to help Count Dracula buy a new home. And that's when his troubles begin. Horror ensues.

Reaction and Other Folderol:
Sadly, I couldn't attend class. Work got in the way. Keith graciously lent me his Blu-ray so I could keep up. It's not the same, but that's life.

This movie is, in many ways a thing of beauty. It's shot in such wonderful vivid color, it's really a work of art. But in some ways it was disjointed, with the scenes not really connecting with each other. So it didn't really work as a cohesive whole.

I did appreciate Klaus Kinski's sanitarium-bound character. Kinski is interesting in just about everything he's in. And, of course, Christopher Lee is wonderfully imposing.

Ratings
Since I missed the class, and watched the movie on my own afterwards, I would prefer not to rate it. But here's what everyone else had to say:


Cats: No, there were no cats. But there were wolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment