Tuesday, November 30, 2021

happy tunesday! "do you think of me (now and again)?"


Another recording that I commissioned Toby Wilson to make. And this, a rarity for me, is a song for which I had co-authors. And there were three of them.

There's a bit of  history here. Go ahead, listen to the song before you read the background.

Originally, I started writing a novelty song, with the chorus:

Do you Google me now and again?
Do your fingers hit the keyboard when
Something frees your memories?
Do you Google me now and again?

I spent a lot of time -- as in years -- sitting on that. I was trying to write verses with references to the interwebs and social media. But everything I could come up with was just way too gimmicky. Eventually I decided that the whole direction was too gimmicky and risked becoming dated. I changed the chorus to what we have here:
Do you think of me now and again?
Do the feelings come flooding back when
Something frees your memories?
Do you think of me now and again?

Eventually I also wrote what would become (with some wordsmithing) half of the first verse, the second verse and the bridge. I ran it by Scott Milner, a friend and musician. He rearranged it a bit and added what would become the second half of the first verse. And we had a completed song.

Enter Eric Goulden (AKA Wreckless Eric) and Amy Rigby. They were crowdfunding what would be their third album. As part of their campaign, they agreed to record a demo. In the process they touched up the wording and improved the melody in the bridge. I explained that part in more detail in a blogpost a year and a half ago.

And that brings us to today. As part of my musical vanity project, I commissioned Toby Wilson to record it. I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment