Tuesday, November 2, 2021

happy tunesday! living like flowers (at the mercy of the wind)


In high school I wrote a song called "Mercy of the Wind." It sucked. In the interests of full disclosure, I only wrote the lyrics. A friend set it to music. The music was fine. It was the lyrics that sucked. I'd say more about that song, but I'd have to go into all sorts of cringey cringitude. Take my word for it.

But I still liked that title, so decades later I wrote this little number. As I was writing it, I had "Mercy of the Wind" as the working title. But as it neared completion I realized that I had the wrong title. It just wasn't the right emphasis. I played with "Living Like Flowers," which I like as a song title. But that also doesn't seem right for this song. Combining the two into "Living Like Flowers (at the Mercy of the Wind)" just seems right. It's a bit long, but whatevs.

This is the eighth recording that Toby Wilson has made for me, and I happen to think this is the best of them.

Special thanks to Christina Crocker for her advice regarding how to split this as a duet. She has a real gift for that kind of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment