Tuesday, November 16, 2021

happy tunesday! skipping records


Do you know that feeling you get when you hear a song for the first time and it just seems so right? To clarify, it's not just a song you've never heard, but a band you've never heard of. Somehow you feel right at home with the song like it's been part of your soul forever, even if you didn't know it. It's a sublime moment. The kind to cherish. I had that moment today. In the car. Going to a doctor's appointment.

But it got even better. Ethan, the kid whose musical taste has virtually no overlap with mine, was singing along. I asked if he was singing along, and he quickly denied it. But a few measures later he was doing it again. That time I didn't say anything. I just enjoyed the moment.

I made sure to memorize the title and band name so I could find them later. "Spinning Records" by The Shang Hi Los. For all I knew it could have been from the 1980's -- it was played right after Graham Parker's "Local Girls" (1979). But it had a more recent, grungier sound. So it could have been newer. 1980 to today covers a lot of time. And, strictly speaking, there are clear influences from earlier.

At home I learned that the group is from Boston, and the song is from their debut album, Kick It Like a Wicked Bad Habit (my copy, ordered this evening, should be coming on Friday) which was released earlier this year. I could go on and on about it, but just listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment