Sunday, February 26, 2017

was the menu limited...or just treif?

I was reminiscing with some friends, and the subject turned to Korvette's, the chain of discount stores. The conversation made me wonder about something from my childhood.

There was a Korvette's in Douglaston, near where I grew up. The location is now occupied by a Toys R Us, a Modell's and (I think) something else in between. BUt when I was a kid and it was Korvette's, there was a little pretzel stand in front, right by the parking lot. I don;t really remember what we ever bought at the store (except for Nitwit, who was one of our cats). But I remember the pretzel stand. Hot, chewy pretzels, with just the right amount of salt. That was a special treat. Now, decades later, I look back and wonder if it was really just a pretzel stand? I suspect they sold hot dogs, but my parents never bought us those because they weren't kosher.

No comments:

Post a Comment