Monday, February 6, 2017

some thoughts from a non-fan on superbowl li

I wasn't planning on blogging about Super Bowl LI (every time I see that, I think it's short for Long Island) since I'm not particularly knowledgeable about football and I'm not a big fan. But it was exciting, so WTH.

I went into this rooting for New England, for reasons that I'm not entirely sure of. The fact is, as a Giants and Jets fan (to the extent that I'm any kind of football fan), I should be anti-Patriots. But I also think that the NFL treated Tom Brady unfairly during that whole deflate-gate scandal, and I like the idea of this being a little "fuck you" to the league, Also, and maybe this is awful, but the Falcons just don't seem like a team that should be in the Super Bowl. I don't mean the specific players on the Falcons, or the combination of them. I have no idea about any of them. I'm talking about the franchise. I mean, Atlanta Falcons and Superbowl? They don't exactly go together like franks and beans. In the end, I would tell people -- half-jokingly -- that the more success Brady has in the Super Bowl, the more it will annoy him that he couldn't beat Eli Manning (and he had two tries).

I was pretty bored during the first half -- even fell asleep a time or two, and like everyone else, I was giving up on the Patriots. During the third quarter, Blair was reading me the snarky tweets about how Lady Gaga got more yardage in the air than the Patriots, or "Hey, Belichick, time to make your move." My favorite, was about how the Falcons turned in Atlanta's best first half performance since the Civil War. At the time I noted that that wouldn't be appropriate unless New England comes back for the win. And she laughed. If only I'd known.

From my layman's perspective, it appeared to me that Brady simply underwent a transformation in the fourth quarter. For most of the game he just kept missing on his passes. He would overthrow or underthrow, or throw behind the receiver. But in the fourth quarter there were stretches when he was brilliant. Like he couldn't miss. And he came through when he needed to. But it will still stick in his craw that he couldn;t beat Manning in the big game.

I was streaming the game on Fox Sports, which generally worked well, although there was a stretch near the end that I lost the stream, and had a hard time getting it back. That was during the fourth quarter -- just after the field goal that brought the score to 28-12. I was tempted to say to hell with it, since the game was a blowout. It kept trying to reload, and kept cursing impotently as it failed. But I kept going, thinking about how I'd feel if somehow the Pats came back and I missed it. I missed one touchdown (and two-point conversion), but got it back soon after that.

Blair tells me that she's been reading about some big names like Mark Wahlberg who left early because it was a blowout. All I can say to them is that you never leave a sporting event early. Well, that and:


I noticed that they started the balloting for Super Bowl MVP while the Falcons were still up by a buttload. I think they should come up with some other way of doing things. THe decision should be made after the game is over, or you run the risk of having a completely inappropriate winner.

Other than the exciting comeback? BORING. Lady GaGa is obviously talented, and her show was elaborately choreographed. But I'm just not into her stuff. I do have three questions, though:

  1. Who the hell crouches on a piano bench?
  2. Why were there dancers with Klingon Bat'leths?
  3. Is it my imagination or did she initially look like Miley Cyrus?


The ads weren't particularly entertaining either, though the usually-annoying George Takei was actually pretty good in the Domino's spot. I do have to say I'm surprised to see working for Domino's given that it's Tom Monahan's chain?

One last thought. Who designed that awful logo? The one with the Roman numeral LI with the trophy? The placement made it look like it was an LII logo, which would be 52.

1 comment:

  1. Agree about the MVP thing. Met fans know that in Game 6, the scoreboard briefly displayed, "Congratulations Boston Red Sox, 1986 World Champions", which just made the comeback more satisfying. It's more satisfying when everyone gives up on you.

    Hulk Hogan used to do this thing in his matches where he would be locked into some submission hold or sleeper hold, and the referee would test Hogan's limp arm, once, then twice, then with the ref about to stop the match Hogan would make a fist with his index finger straight up and wag it back and forth to signal "Never give up!", then rally and win the match. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete