Sunday, February 19, 2017

remembering a band and getting schooled on meat

For a few days now, my earwig has been a passage from "Island Song" by Swamp Thing.
Well, I used to like steak and potatoes,
But potatoes are nasty roots
And steak is ripped from the side of a cow.
So eat bananas. They're a wonderful fruit.
It's been years since I heard the song. It's from Swamp Thing's 1985 album, Learning to Disintegrate, which came across my notice when I was in college, writing record reviews for a college newspaper. There were two songs on the album that I absolutely loved -- "I Love Children" and "Island Song." The quote above comes from the latter song.



Anyway, T2D is one of the records that I wore out over the years. And I've never been able to find it on CD.

Cue to last week. I was thinking about the album, and decided to look up the lead vocalist on FaceBook. He confirmed that the album hasn;t been released on CD, but did send me a link to CDBaby, where I can purchase a digital download. I have to get around to doing that. What holds me back is that, in a sense, I'm old school on that. I much prefer having a physical disc than simply a download. In fact, once I download it, I'll have to burn it onto a physical disc in order to truly consider it part of my music collection. Add to that the fear that I'll screw up the download, and be stuck with nothing. I have got to get with the times.

So, meanwhile, I was in the car today with Ethan and Blair, and started absentmindedly singing "Island Song." We were just leaving the farmer's market where we had looked at some steaks (Ethan is very picky, and none looked quite right to him) and picked up some veal we had ordered from the cheesemongers we like. When I got to the line about steak being ripped from the side of a cow, Ethan corrected me.

"No, it's not."

"Huh?" I answered cleverly.

"Steak isn't ripped from the side of a cow." He then proceeded to go through a dissertation on what cuts of meat come from where.

Life with a foodie.

No comments:

Post a Comment