Monday, February 13, 2017

damn hypocritical movie characters. grrrrr!

Remember the movie You've Got Mail? It was one of those cloying 1990s romcoms about a man and a woman finding love despite seeming to be mismatched. It starred Tom Hanks and someone else. Probably Meg Ryan*. I should probably check that. But, well, if you think I'm cheating you by not checking, then get your money back on the subscription.

Anyhoo...

You know what bugs me about that movie? The source of the mismatch is the Hanks' character runs a chain of mega-bookstores (obviously based on Barnes & Noble), while Ryan's (I'm assuming it was Ryan) character runs an independent bookstore. She sees him as evil, as his mega-chain is crowding out the independents like her store, and effectively homogenizing the industry.

I'm putting aside the economic arguments.

But where does she get her daily cups of coffee? From the independent coffee shops? Or the neighborhood bodegas? Nope. From Starbucks.

The damn hypocrite.


*In looking for the trailer to post with this entry, I learned that it was Meg Ryan. Yay, me! But don't for a second think I'm gonna go back up there and fix up all the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment