Monday, February 20, 2017

a cheese for me?

One of our regular stops at the Jackson Heights Farmers's Market on Sundays is Bardwell Farms. They sell cheese. Really good cheese. One of the things that's interesting about them is that they have their own variety of cheeses, which they name themselves. Most of their cheeses seem to be named after towns in Vermont near their farm, though a couple are named after people. For example, "Experience" is actually named after Experience Bardwell, who was part of the Bardwell family generations ago. In fact, the farm is really "Consider Bardwell Farm," named after Consider Bardwell who was a family matriarch.

Yesterday I sent them an email asking if they'd name a cheese after me. I know it's a long shot, but it's more likely to happen if I ask than if I don't. Following is the text of my email:

Dear Bardwell Farmers, 
First of all, I have to tell you how grateful I am for the yummy cheeses that you make available at the farmers markets in New York City. We are regular visitors to your booth at the Jackson Heights market on Sundays. In fact, today, we picked up an order of veal that we had placed, as well as a hunk of Pawlet and a hunk of Rupert. 
My son, Ethan, is partial to the Rupert (though he really loves the Rupert Reserve, which is rarely available). I love the Pawlet, which I eat rind and all. It's got such a great pungency -- assertive but not overbearing. My wife, Blair, seems likes the Danby. 
In addition, buying your cheese is always such a pleasant experience -- almost as much fun as eating it. The lady who used to operate your booth is gone -- she had told us she'd be moving to California. Pretend there's a frowny face emoji here. But the people we have seen at your booth since she left have been super-friendly. 
But actually, none of that is why I'm writing. I have been aware that you have created your own names for your special cheeses -- typically towns in Vermont near your farm. If it would be possible, I would be extremely grateful if you would name a cheese after me. I know it's a big ask, since you don't come up with new cheeses every day -- and you probably get lots of these requests. I don;t really have much to say in support of my request (as opposed to others), except to note that "Whinston" would be s dignified-sounding name that would sit well in the pantheon that already includes Manchester, Dorset and Slyboro. 
Please do consider (no pun intended) my request. Thank you very much, 
Sincerely,
Marc Whinston

I'll let you know if I hear back.

No comments:

Post a Comment