Sunday, July 9, 2017

it ain't trek anymore

A year after Star Trek Beyond (the latest entry from the Star Trek franchise) was released, I finally saw it. Before it was released, I wrote here about how I wasn't going to bother seeing it -- at least not until I could see it for free. As I said I would, I waited until it was free with Amazon Prime.

Beyond really solidified my view -- which I kind of got at in the item linked above-- that Star Trek is np longer really Star Trek. At this point, these movies are action movies. The Fast and The Furious, The Expendables, whatever other new action franchises are out there, now there's Star Trek too. The thing is, I don't like these new action movies. It seems that they consist of a bunch of adrenaline sequences loosely linked together by an incoherent plot. At any point, it's clear what the characters are trying to do -- at the moment. But if you pause to think about the story, it's really hard to see how it all hangs together.

With the first two Trek reboots, it was easy to overlook this element because they purposely had all sorts of nods to the original series. The first reboot was an origin story with a lot to let the hardcore Trekkies geek out. The second one was a retelling of the whole Khan thing, so again there was stuff for old-time Trekkies. But this time around, forget it. As I mentioned to a friend, this is now effectively just an action movie for which they paid licensing to use the names of Star Trek characters.

Is this how it is to be with future incarnations?

No comments:

Post a Comment