Friday, July 28, 2017

claire wouldn't do that

As I mentioned before, I'm watching the Netflix show, House of Cards. So far, I've really enjoyed it. The plots are interesting, it's got a great antihero, and the dialog is crisp, with everyone talking in ways that are way more clever than real people talk. But something really irritated me in Season 3, episode 6.

Claire's performance above struck me as wrong. Not wrong in the sense that she's doing the wrong thing, but wrong in terms of that's not something the character would do.

Through two and a half seasons, we have learned that Claire is clod and calculating the way Frank is. Maybe not not quite as bad, but bad nonetheless. And yet here she is, blowing an international peace deal (and possibly her husband's shot at reelection) in order to honor the memory of an activist who committed suicide. It just doesn't add up. The Claire Underwood I know would have said the words she had prepared, and never looked back.

I'm guessing the writers were setting up some big conflict between Claire and Frank -- I assume I'll see that soon. But there had to be a better way to set up the conflict. Maybe have his negotiations with Petrov fall apart (without it being due to Claire's sudden lack of cynicism) and have Frank blame Claire for it. That would be more  believable.

Oh, and the word is "hanged." Pictures are hung. People are hanged.

3 comments:

  1. "Oh, and the word is "hanged." Pictures are hung. People are hanged."

    Um, not that I've made a habit of looking or anything, but some people are "hung" too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I was actually thinking of writing:

    "Oh, and the word is 'hanged.' Pictures are hung. People are hanged. Except Ron Jeremy. He's hung."

    But I decided to be classy. And here you go ruining it for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete