Wednesday, July 26, 2017

house of cards -- a bad biblical translation

I was watching House of Cards (good show, by the by -- I love antiheroes), and came upon this scene.

Frank discusses the concept of justice with a priest, and they discuss the ten commandments. After the priest says that the ten commandments can be read a million different ways, Frank says that "Thou shalt not kill" seems pretty clear.

The unintended irony of that line was not lost on me, since it hit on one of my pet peeves. I have heard people criticize the Bible for since it seems to contradict that commandment frequently. Despite the commandment, there is a lot of killing in the bible -- both in warfare and as capital punishment. And it all seems to have God's approval. This, some argue is contradiction.

But the problem is in the translation. The commandment is לא תרצח, "lo teer'tsach." Though it's commonly translated as "Thou shalt not kill," a more accurate translation would be "Thou shalt not murder." The difference is that killing in warfare, or as the penalty for a crime (as carried out by a an organized and fair justice system as part of an organized system of laws within society) is not the same as murder.

It seems to me the priest should have known this, and pointed out that important distinction to Frank.

2 comments:

  1. Which reminds me...

    A Catholic teenager goes to confession, and after confessing to an affair with a girl is told by the priest that he can't be forgiven unless he reveals who the girl is.

    "I promised not to tell!" he says.

    "Was it Mary Patricia, the butcher's daughter?" the preist asks. "No, and I said I wouldn't tell."

    "Was it Mary Elizabeth, the printer's daughter?" "No, and I still won't tell!"

    "Was it Mary Francis, the baker's daughter?" "No," says the boy.

    "Well, son," says the priest, "I have no choice but to excommunicate you for six months."

    Outside, the boy's friends ask what happened. "Well," he says, "I got six months, but three good leads."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc, You are right. The priest should have known the distinction, especially in light of the training in ancient languages which most priests receive these days. However, it is probably worth noting that the distinction is not as clear when the broader range of meanings of the Hebrew root are considered. http://forward.com/articles/6091/on-language/

    ReplyDelete