Sunday, July 16, 2017

if you must take pictures, call 911 first

I shouldn't have to write this, but apparently people don;t remember. If you see a horrific car accident (or the fresh aftermath), call 911. Don;t take picures; call 911.

Blair and I had just gotten into the car to go pick someone up at Kennedy Airport. It was early ona  Sunday morning. As we were getting onto the highway, I saw a car stopped in the entrance ramp. Then a row of them. Then I looked to the left. It appears that someone crossed the median and hit someone else head on. Both cars looked totaled, and one had flipped over. I'm not sure if there were other vehicles involved. It was clear that this was a new accident -- the cars were still smoking, and there were no emergency responders. I should point out that the highway near us can be dangerous during hours when it's largely empty. People often use it as a race course.

At least a dozen cars had pulled over (on both sides) and we could see people taking pictures with their phones. Blair called 911. They took the information, told her that no one had reported the accident yet, and thanked her.

I understand the morbid curiosity that leads people to take pictures of a wreck. I don't endorse it, but I understand it. But, please, folks, call 911 first. In a serious accident, time is of the essence, and an extra few minutes' delay can cost lives. If someone else has called already they'll thank you and say that they already have it. No negative repercussions. So call. Please.

UPDATE: Yeah, it was bad. Really bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment