Monday, June 13, 2016

maybe i'll see it when i can do so for free

So there's a new Star Trek movie coming out. Whoop-dee-frickin'-doo,


This will be the first Star Trek movie that I won't bother to see. Just to keep the full disclosure going, I don't mean I won't see it. I might see it. Like, once it's available on Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime. But I'm not going to rush out to the theatre to see it, and I won't spend money to see it. So that is a fundamental change from prior Star Trek films.

The last two movies, the reboot films, just haven't been Start Trek. At least as far as I'm concerned. They have the name, and the characters, and the same basic universe. But they're different. It's like someone took Star Trek, put it in a blender and threw the results up on the big screen.

In all fairness, I'm not saying the new movies are bad. They really aren't. Pine, Quinto and Urban are actually quite impressive as Kirk, Spock and McCoy. The rest of the cast aren't as good, but that's the B squad anyway. And the storytelling is really quite good. Both films were enjoyable as science fiction action movies. They were certainly a damn sight better than the last two pre-rebbot movies, Insurrection and Nemesis.

If they had dropped the Star Trek name, characterizations and universe -- and especially the sly nods -- they would have been better. But they're not Star Trek, and I'm not into science fictiony action movies. At least not enough to pay movie theatre prices for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment