Wednesday, June 29, 2016

poems and songs from television

One of the things I really like in TV shows is poetry. Now, I don't mean I like shows that are compilations of poetry. Rather, I like situations where a show has a poem (or song) that was created for the show is recited or performed. I'd like to share a few of my favorites.

But before I do so, let me note that these have to be poems or songs that are part of the show, and that were created for it, by the writers, to exist within the show's universe. So I don't consider such things as Mr. Spock's recitation of William Blake's "Tiger." On the other hand, if he had recited "Zimfiron" by Heeblewenzinko of the Orion Colony, that would have been okey dokey. Also, I am not considering songs from TV series that are built around songs. So no Partridge Family or Monkees here.

And, of course, these are weighted toward TV shows that I liked because, well, that's what I liked.

1) "Clouds" from Taxi
This is my favorite. Elaine has been receiving anonymous love poems. After she admits that they're getting her hot, Louie thinks he can get her into bed if she believes he wrote them. Hilarity ensues:

2) "Another Christmas of Agony" from Cheers
A close second. Diane's friend, a student of Russian poetry is depressed. So depressed that she can't even be cheered by her favorite poem. Which she recites.

3) "Go Back" from Star Trek
I mentioned Star Trek above. In  the Halloween episode ("Catspaw") from season 2, the landing party meets what appear to be floating disembodied ghost heads who present a warning in poem form. Because it's hard to make out the words -- heck I've seen this dozens of times, but had to look up the words on the internet -- I'm including them here. You're welcome.
Wind shall rise
And fog descend.
So leave here, all
Or meet your end.

4) "Pump Your Blood" from Happy Days
Potsie is in danger of failing a biology class. He just can't remember the material. So the gang, realizing that he has a musical brain, help him by writing songs about the material. That, he can remember. Warning: This episode comes after the series had jumped the shark. And it shows.

5) "Happy and Peppy and Bursting with Love" from The Odd Couple
Felix, finding out how much successful songwriters make, decides to write a song. Somehow (I forget how, and I'm too lazy to look it up), he has a connection to get the song to Jaye P. Morgan. Unlike the material above, this song is the actual focus of its episode, so there are several performances of it, as well as an extended (hyserical) scene, in which we see Felix writing it.

Any thoughts? If this proves to be a popular post I'll follow up with another. Of course, I may do so even if it's not popular. So, whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment