Friday, June 16, 2017

some progress on the screenplay

A few months ago I posted about starting work on my screenplay for Bleed Me a River.

In the time since that post I have made very little progress. One challenge has been that I'm not sure if I'm writing the story or the dialogue. In a sense I've been trying to do both at the same time, and confusing myself with it.

Finally, last week I made a little progress. I added some dialogue, and sections in the draft screenplay where I describe (in red, which I'm using to draw my attention to places that need work) a scene or a series of scenes or just a vague idea of what I need to have happen. In a couple of places I simply have the words "STUFF HAPPENS HERE."

But last night I made real progress. I had printed out a copy of what I had, and gave it to Joe (from film class) to read. I am hoping to get him involved in the project when it's further along. He is good with dialogue and I hope he can help me with mine. I'm finding it easier to write the story -- this happens, then that happens, then the other thing happens -- than actual dialogue. Maybe seeing what I have will whet his appetite. Don't tell him that that's my plot. Joe, if you're reading this, just remember that you didn't read it.

Anyway, printing it out must have primed the pump or something. In class, I gave him the printout. And then all sorts of ideas came to me.

This can happen. And it can explain this action. But then do this. Then that. Yeah! that'll help explain this!

When I got home from the film class, I started typing an email to Keith. I wanted to run these ideas by him. And, as I typed, more ideas came to me. So much more of this film makes sense to me. The ideas are starting to gain coherence, and the plot is becoming more complex. One of my concerns had been that the premise was too thin. And now it's becoming more robust.

I am stoked about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment