Sunday, March 5, 2017

trying to write a screenplay

Keith and I had a good, productive meeting today about a movie idea I have. I didn't know what to expect, and our meeting certainly wasn't what I would have expected had I expected anything specific. I have a direction to go, which is good.

By way of background, this is my "Bleed Me a River" project. It started with a song that I've been writing for ten years or so. Yes, sometimes my songs take a long time to write. Anyway, the idea behind the song was to write a Louis L'amour novel in song form. And, yeah, it took a bit of a negative turn. About two years ago, we were in Keith's basement before or after the film class, discussing Spaghetti Westerns. I mentioned the song, and that "Bleed Me a River" would have made a great title for a Spaghetti Western. The guys agreed, and in minutes I had the basic idea for a plot. Coincidentally, it bore a strong resemblance for the story behind the story song I had been trying to write. Since then, I have been trying to figure out how to write a screenplay for the movie.

Through a series of emails and brief discussions, I got to the point where I had a two-page treatment. It includes (not in this order) an opening scene, an ending, and a general description of how we get from the beginning to the ending. I also included a few notes about the main characters and some potential plot holes that will need addressing. But I was stuck as to where to go. Do I try to flesh out with descriptions of other scenes? Do I start writing dialogue? Eeeek!

Keith graciously offered his time to help me figure out what to do. I honestly didn't know what to expect. Would this be a writing session, where we're sitting at the computer and putting this together? Would it be a technical discussion where we map out the plot?

We didn't accomplish either of those. Instead, it was a session where we talked about how to write. How to go about getting this swirling amorphous story from my head to paper. Ideally, he said, I should take three days locked in a room doing nothing but banging this out. Then we can deal with revisions, corrections and such. In reality, that's not going to happen. But if I can get a couple of uninterrupted hours each week, I can make some progress. We also discussed some of the plot specifics and holes, and how to develop the characters.

In a sense, it reminds me of what Maimonides considered the highest form of charity -- helping people to help themselves. Instead of helping me write the screenplay, Keith was helping me to figure out how to write it.

At this point, I hope to sit down and work on some dialogue, but instead, I spent this time writing a blogpost about it...

2 comments:

  1. The blogpost is step one, the screenplay is step two...you will do this...and it's going to turn out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hero returns home to the "new ordinary world" with the fruits of his adventure. He begins his life as a changed person now living at a higher or lower level of being. Screenplay resolution

    ReplyDelete