Saturday, March 11, 2017

patrick (cinema history class)


Session: Australian Horror/Sci-Fi, week 1
Movie: Patrick (1978)

Plot:
Starting her new job as a nurse at a private hospital, Kathy Jaquard is charged with the care of Patrick, a patient who has been comatose for three years. Turns out, he's not completeley unaware, and he's not exactly helpless. Hilarity ensues.

Class Reaction:
The reaction was generally very positive. I recall at least three ratings that were above 9. And that didn;t surprise me, as the energy level in the room was very high. This kept us enagged from start to finish. Ethan, unfortunately, had to miss this session, as he was in Boston supporting Stack-Up at Pax-East. I would have liked to hear his reaction.

My Thoughts:
Blair will often say about a movie that it wasn't as good as the sum of its parts. This was the opposite. THe acting was competent enough, but nothing to write home about, the cinematography was meh. There was almost nothing that made this stand out. ANd yet it did stand out, because it was compelling. Even in the slow parts, I was on the edge of my seat, waiting to see what would happen.

I noted during the discussion that I saw this as, not so much a horror movie as a psychological thriller. We had some back and forth on that point. I think Dave agreed, but Joe won me over with a point -- If you have someone telekenetically moving all sorts of objects around a room, and throwing people into walls, then it's a horror movie. I have to give him that. Still and all, this was less "horror"y than most. As someone noted, there was remarkably little blood and gore, and the movie achieved a lot of its horror through suggestion.

The one real weakness was the ending. In the post-viewing discussion, I mentioned this and explained how I would have preferred it end. I guess I also was unimpressed by the sound effects when Roget tried to break through a door with an axe.

I also note that Patrick passes the Bechdel Test. For whatever that's worth.

Extras:
Keith had an Australian couple staying with him, so they briefly discussed Australian cinema with us, and introduced the movie. Also, His friend (and author) Chris Gullo joined us. He also discussed some aspects of Australian cinema.

1 comment: