Wednesday, March 29, 2017

daylily luncheon

The annual LIDS luncheon, last Saturday, was a great success for LIDS and great fun for us.

The guest speaker, Rich Howard of CT Daylily, gave an interesting talk. He talked about growing techniques, and had lots of great photos to accompany. He also presented many pictures of his newer cultivars, along with their lineage and other relevant data. His names -- he seems to like naming his introductions after pets or songs -- were amusing. To my eternal shame, I misidentified "Incense and Peppermints" as being by the 13th Floor Elevators instead of the Strawberry Alarm Clock. What was I thinking?

Bed Head -- Howard 2017
(Love for Jesus × Horny Devil)
Come auction time, I had decided on only one plant to bid on. I've found that, at these auctions, I need to decide beforehand what I want to bid on, and exactly how high I am willing to bid. Anyway, I bid on Bed Head, which is one of his 2017 introductions. See the accompanying photo. It's a tetraploid, the result of crossing Love For Jesus with Horny Devil. Seriously. I like the colors and the toothy edge. Yes, I also find its lineage amusing.

Anyway, I won that bidding war, so I look forward to planting that beauty in the yard later this spring.

Before the speech and auction, there were some general announcements about upcoming plant sales. Blair and I signed up to help LIDs with its Spring plant sale -- I'll be taking a couple days off work for that. I also plan to get to the Horticultural Society sale, to buy canna bulbs if nothing else. I bought a whole bunch last year, and really liked the way they grew.

Oh, yeah -- I also ate too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment