Wednesday, March 22, 2017

new interest in an old song

I got an email the other day from an old friend, Scott Milner. His brother, Kelsey, knows a musician who has some interest in performing one of my songs, and they're trying to track down the sheet music.

Woo-hoo!

The song in question is "Music No One Else Can Hear," which I cowrote with a coworker. It stands as the only song of mine that was recorded for an album, which makes it my biggest success as a songwriter. The Milner Brothers (Scott, Kelsey and their brother Eric) included it in their album, Haven't Lost a Thing.

AT this point, I don't have a lyric video to display the song here. The best I have is a performance by Triple Sec in Missoula, MT. Stylistically, it's very different from the Milner Brothers' rendition. The  Brothers' arrangement included only accoustic guitars and bass. Triple Sec included a clarinet, which gave it an almost Klezmer sound.

The irony is that at this point I don't like the song. The Milner Brothers' record makes it sound better than it is, but the verses annoy me. Which is why I ended up rewriting it. The rewritten version, which I like much better, is what I performed at a talent show at work late last year. Of course, that was kind of premature -- I hadn't yet registered the copyright. But, whatever, I finally took care of that last Monday.

Meanwhile, this musician who's interested in the song was asking for the sheet music. Unfortunately, I don't know enough on the technical end to write out the sheet music. I provided a lyric sheet, and said that I can give her the chords if necessary. I hope that's not a deal-breaker. I have no idea if whe just wants to perform the song in her shows, or if she wants to include it on an album. Hoping it's the latter...

Meanwhile, I'm psyched...

No comments:

Post a Comment