Sunday, June 4, 2017

small world

Mynelle's Starfish
Cute little coincidence time.

By way of background, I should note that, while I have decided to start labeling my daylilies this year, I have many clumps that I plated in years past that will remain unidentified simply because I wasn't labeling them.

I was weeding part of the garden yesterday, and noticed plastic stakes at the bases of a couple clumps. These are the stakes that were in the pots these plants came in when I got them. Wiping off the dirt, I could barely make out the names: "Mynelle's Starfish" and "Happy Returns."

Since I had recently placed an order for several labels, I emailed the man who makes the labels to see if I could add these two to the existing order. It's cheaper to do that than create a new order for two labels.

Anyway, I heard back from the man who makes the labels. "Mynelle's Starfish was named after Mynelle Hayward. When he (the label-manufacturer) was a kid, he was Ms. Hayward's paperboy. Small world.



No comments:

Post a Comment