Monday, June 26, 2017

stacking up on tv

My first taste of TV fame. I guess.



Ethan, Blair and I were on a public access TV show -- "Open" on BronxNet. We were talking about Stack-Up, how it was founded, and our role in it. I'd love to say that this appearance was the culmination of lots of hard work. But the truth is, it kind of fell in our lap. We had signed up to help with a service event run by The Mission Continues -- another military-related charity. The Mission Continues works with veterans to find ways that they can continue serving their communities after their service in the armed forces is over.

Anyway, the event was a Bronx River and Park cleanup. "Open" is kind of a public interest talk show, spotlighting events and organizations in the Bronx, so they had some interest in this service event. They had originally asked about having us on before the cleanup, I guess so we could talk it up. But due to some miscommunication, we ended up being scheduled for the Monday after the event. But the event was postponed due to rain anyway, so it was just as well.

Of course, the upshot is that we never talked about the service event. We just talked about Stack-Up, Which was fine by me. Of course, since this is a Bronx-based show, and none of this really related to the Bronx, our segment seemed a little out of place. I had to wonder if the host, interviewing us, was wondering WTF we were doing on his show.

It was fun in a nerve-wracking way. I am, after all, the kind of guy who craves a spotlight. But I also get nervous when that spotlight is arriving. I remember from my acting days. I loved being onstage. But backstage, waiting for my cue, I was always a nervous wreck. I'd stand there, cursing at myself for getting involved in the show, and swearing never to do it again. Then I'd hear my cue, shove my face in a cream pie* and go out onstage to have fun.

It's hard for me to judge how well things went. Watching the video, I can see how I could have done better -- both in manner of speech and posture. I also realize how we could have answered things differently. When the host asked about our next event, that could have been a perfect time to plug the Bronx River cleanup. But for some reason none of us thought of it. Maybe with experience we'll get better at that kind of thing. But a few of the other guests on the show came up to us afterwards and asked for a business card, saying that it sounds like Stack-Up is doing really good work. I hope they weren't just being nice.

Oh,  but that sunburned face. Maybe I shouldn't have spent Saturday at the beach.

*OK, the cream pie part only happened in "The Age of Pi," which was the last show I was in before Blair and I got married.

2 comments: