Friday, June 16, 2017

recount, anyone?

Today my chapter of Toastmasters held its annual election. Someone had nominated me for Treasurer. Nominations were made a few weeks ago, so it's not like it was a surprise today. But, as a candidate, I had to make a short speech in honor of my candidacy. Damn, who knew that I'd have to give speeches in Toastmasters?

Anyway, I was kind of ambivalent about the nomination. Willing to serve if elected, but not really eager. I'd be more interested in doing that kind of thing with LIDS. But, whatever...

The text of my speech was as follows:

I am honored to have been nominated, and -- if elected -- will serve to the best of my abilities. However in this age of rancorous politics it is important to remember that my opponents are not my enemies. I am sure that either of them would serve ably and well if elected. So vote for whichever candidate you feel is the best. I will humbly accept the decision of the club.

I didn't win.

No comments:

Post a Comment