Wednesday, June 28, 2017

what i don't get about trania

For this post, I take you back to Star Trek. There's one thing that has always bugged me about "The Corbomite Maneuver," an episode from the first season. Watch this clip.


Kirk, McCoy and Bailey meet Balok on his ship. After brief introductions, Balok offers a drink of tranya -- "I hope you relish it as much as I." Kirk and his crew eye the drink suspiciously, hesitating to drink. Finally Balok drinks, thereby assuring his guests that the drink isn't poison. Once he does that, they partake as well.

But there's something that has always bothered me about this.

When the tranya appears on a tray, there are three cups and a punch bowl, all full of the drink. Balok gives the three full cups to Kirk and his men. He then ladles tranya from the punch bowl into his own cup (presumably he'd been imbibing before this meeting). So Kirk and the guys never actually see the liquid they're getting mixed with what Balok is drinking. Kirk has no way to be sure that the cups weren't poisoned.

He should have taken Balok's drink. But then, I guess, he'd get cooties.

No comments:

Post a Comment