Friday, May 22, 2020

floral fridays -- things are starting

There's not a whole lot blooming right now -- some remnants of the creeping phlox that looked so lush and colorful so recently and a few scattered columbine. But things are starting to develop.

For the first time this season we noticed scapes on a daylily. It's one of the nn-names in the front yard. Kind of makes me wish I had started labeling clumps from the beginning. But if that's my biggest regret in life, then I'm pretty lucky.* As to other plants, we have three big hibiscuses. We bought two -- a Copper King and a big red one of unknown cultivar. I guess they got a room, since the third hibiscus looks like a cross between the other two. Anyway, I looked closely today and saw the beginnings of this year's plants coming up. So, hopefully by July or August we'll have some big flowers on them.

It's going to be a busy weekend, as we created a flower bed this week, and we've ordered some daylilies which we expect to come tomorrow. Regarding that, it's always interesting when an email contains the line, "and then I had an accident with the shovel."

 *For the record, my biggest regret is that lost weekend in Cincinnati with the ambidextrous theater major and the bathtub full of orange juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment