Tuesday, May 5, 2020

tunesday -- coronavirus edition ("no mercy" by the stranglers)




Dave Greenfield, longtime keyboard player for The Stranglers, passed away on Sunday. It's not entirely clear to me whether his death is being officially counted as being due to COVID-19. He was diagnosed with COVID-19 a week before his death, but he was already in an extended stay in the hospital because of heart problems. So, that's something for the statisticians and epidemiologists to sort out.

Anyway, I first heard of the Stranglers when I was a sophomore in college. I was music editor for a campus newspaper (at that point, it was Skyline), and CBS Records used to hold a lot of press conferences for college media. One such presser was with The Stranglers (or was it just with one or two members -- I don't recall) who were supporting their new album, Aural Sculpture. The record surprised me; I was told they were a punk band, but this record was much more melodic than I was expecting. I was used to punk bands sounding like The Damned or The Sex Pistols.

Anyway, "No Mercy" was my favorite track from Aural Sculpture. Dave Greenfield RIP.


No comments:

Post a Comment