Tuesday, February 12, 2019

it's tunesday! "andrew in drag" by the magnetic fields


I'm not a big fan of The Magnetic Fields. Blair likes them a lot more than I do. She has some stories from decades ago when she would go their shows and sit on the side of the stage. Between songs, lead singer, Stephin Merritt, would make fun of her clothing.

But six and a half (or so) years ago I was introduced to this video. Merritt was hosting a screening of a hard-to-find Japanese film from 1968 called The Black Lizard. Ethan and I went to see it -- I wrote about that experience in my now-defunct music blog. After the movie, they screened the video for "Andrew in Drag." And I liked it. I still do, even though I haven't actually bought the album.


4 comments:

  1. This video is pretty gay. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See? I just learned something about The Magnetic Fields... And about Blair.

    Comments work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of The Magnetic Fields, but I like their music more than I will admit to. Oh, and I love their cover of "If I Were a Rich Man." The emotionless delivery is oddly compelling.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApV79y9AnTE

      Delete