Sunday, February 17, 2019

hq damn near gives me a heart attack

Fuck HQ.

Fuck HQ to hell.

Oh, and may I say, Fuck HQ.

Before I go on, I should explain (for the uninitiated) that HQ is an app for cellphones. There are daily trivia contests. It's free to play, and you can win actual money. I myself have won a total of $2.82 playing it. I wrote a little bit about it here.


Friday afternoon. I'm at work. I look at my cellphone and see that there's a message from HQ. So I open the app. The first thing I notice is that my avatar has been replaced. It used to be a cat -- Ethan's cat, Red, to be specific. Now there's a picture of some blonde woman. She's attractive, I'll admit, but what the hell is she doing on my phone, as my avatar?

The panic sets in. My heart races. I can't sit still. I'm sure that my phone has been hacked, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

So, of course, I check with a friend. I work with Elliot, and know that he plays HQ. I ask him if his avatar was replaced? I explain that I want to know if it's my phone, or (hopefully) some systemic glitch with the HQ app.

Elliot explained that everyone's picture was replaced with one of the stars of Sex and the City, since that was the theme of the contest Thursday night. With that information, I kind of recognize that the new avatar looks like Kim Cattrall.

OK...heart attack averted. But, dang...what ever made them think it was a good idea to make it look like all their users' phones had been hacked?

3 comments:

  1. If you didn't recognize the image of Kim Cattrall, you probably wouldn't have done well in that trivia contest anyway! :-)

    ...And stop looking at games on your phone at work! :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't play the Thursday night game because I was watching "The Haunting." It's a pretty good movie from 1963. You may want to check it out.

      Delete
    2. THough it is a bit talky at times...

      Delete