Saturday, February 9, 2019

i shoulda backed up

Let's be clear. Losing your data sucks.

My hard drive died this week. No, I hadn't been backing things up.



I literally cannot recall everything that I had that's now lost and has to be recreated as best as possible. But here's a partial list (not in any particular order):

  • Medical records from the last several years
  • Brokerage account records
  • A list of accounts with various vendors, services and institutions, complete with passwords (encoded so that only I can interpret them)
  • A list of movies that Ethan and I have seen in our weekly film class
  • A draft of a newsletter for LIDS
  • The membership list for the Jamaica Estates Association
  • All the music I spent endless hours ripping from my CD collection.
A lot of the info (not the music files, mind you) are on paper. But, damn, who wants to go through all that paper?

I won't bore with the blow by blow of "well, I was working and then the blue screen came up, so..." Suffice to say it wasn't fun. Yeah... backups from now on.



No comments:

Post a Comment