Friday, June 10, 2022

wilko, part iii

This is a quick follow-up about Wilko the used Maine Coon I got a little over a month ago. For anyone
reading this now who wants some background, my earlier posts are here and here

Att this point I can happily say that Wilko has integrated into the family. She walks around the house like she owns the place. And, best of all, she acts like I'm her person. I described her behavior in a series of texts to a friend:

Such a transformation. When I work from home she spends a lot of the day hanging out in the office with me. Some of it just chilling under my desk near my feet. Sometimes she gets up and kind of walks around me, rubbing against my legs. I think that in her old home she wasn't allowed on the tables. When I see her on the dining room table and come over to pet her she runs in a panic. She lets me pick her up, but won't stay on my lap. So I pick her up and lap-put her, but she jumps down. The thing is, she doesn't run away. She gets down and stays with me.

So she has gotten to the point of normal cat behavior. I consider this a victory.

I feel kind of sheepish about being so happy to have her, my own kitten in a house full of other cats. Blair notes that I've wanted my own cat for quite a while, and having Wilko around makes me happier.

Of course, on Sunday Sharon is getting her new kitten, Copic. I have seen the pictures, and Copic is very cute. But I'll have to resist the lure of the kitten's siren song. While everyone else in the family makes a fuss over her, I'll have to stick with Wilko and give her my attention.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy the new kitty. Wish I could meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote the comment(s!) above. Why can’t I sign them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why you can't sign them. I don't know who you are...

    ReplyDelete