Sunday, June 12, 2022

back in the corner

Back in the beforetimes -- late 2019, I believe -- I had started going to Creative Corner (in West Hempstead) on Monday nights for their open mic night. There, I got to practice some of my songs, see how an audience reacted to them, and generally have fun. COVID shut that down.

Last week marked the return of open mic nights, though they are now on Sunday nights.

It was a sparser crowd than had been there pre-COVID, though that may be in part due to it being during the Jewish holiday of Shavu'ot. There are at least a few Orthodox Jews who would go and sing. But with the sparse crowd, we each got to perform more than when the regular weekly sessions were at full strength. For my part, I sang my originals, "Living Like Flowers (at the Mercy of the Wind)," "Midnight has Come and Gone" and "Do You Think of Me (Now and Again)." For my encore I did a cover of Nick Lowe's "Hear of the City."

My performances kind of sucked -- even for  me -- but what the heck. I am sharing the videos because I can deal with the shame.






In a change from the past format, they invited people to do anything creative. It didn't have to be song. Though music was the primary genre of performance, there was one guy who gave a magic show. And Jonas, a Help-Xer who has been staying with us, read a short story from a collection he has been writing.

I plan to be back tonight. Ethan will be coming, and maybe -- just maybe -- he'll get up and tell a story from the repertoire he worked on when we took classes with Adam Wade at the Magnet Theater.

Below are pictures from some of the other performances.








No comments:

Post a Comment