Saturday, April 2, 2022

sharon's cover art (new yorker edition) part ii

This is kind of a follow up to yesterday's post in which I shared a The New Yorker magazine cover design Sharon made for her illustration class.

When I posted it, I was unaware that the class assignment was to create sketches of three covers. Since they could make the covers about New York City or about politics, Sharon chose to create one of each and one that combined elements of both. Also, because they were supposed to do "sketches" which would be edited and cleaned up after they get feedback from the instructor. And that's why they may seem not quite complete.

All three are below. Sharon also showed me what some of her classmates submitted. Personally, I think hers are better than any of the others. But I'm biased. Of course, the fact that I'm biased doesn't mean I'm wrong.

The New York element of this first one is obvious:


This one combines a rat (the official animal of the New York subway) with a sunflower (which is a symbol of Ukraine):

And back to the one I posted yesterday, the Ukrainian flag with lots of animals on it:


1 comment:

  1. I was able to point out several subway rats to Nicole while we were there. None were on the platform, thankfully, but only down by the tracks.

    ReplyDelete