Sunday, April 10, 2022

my first slam

 Enough with taking classes. At some point you have to get out there and do. With that in mind I headed out for my first Storyslam.

The topic for the evening was sales -- there was a lot more verbiage to the prompt, but it comes down to sales. Phil pointed it to me, noting that the Angry Bob story I told at a class show could be adapted. I'd have to make some changes of course, since my story was eight minutes, and Moth Storyslam events have a six-minute time limit. And I'd have to refocus it. But I could manage.

And so I went with Phil, dragging Ethan along and planning to meet Blair there.

Since this is my first post about a Moth Storyslam, I'll take the opportunity to describe the proceedings. In follow-up posts I will assume this knowledge as background. Everyone who wants to tell their story fills out a form. Through the course of the evening, these forms are drawn from a bag to choose who gets to tell a story. In all, ten people get called. So if twenty people put their names in, each has a 50% chance of going up. At the end of the night, all those who weren't called get to come up and deliver their opening lines.

I had a fun evening, but it was anticlimactic, since I didn't get picked. But I could see that I can compete in this space.

At any rate, here was my opening line:



No comments:

Post a Comment