Thursday, April 21, 2022

cinema history class: theatre of blood (1973)

  



As always, there may be spoilers here. And the trailer may be NSFW and/or NSFL.

Session: Crocker Picks the April Hits (Week 3)
Movie: Theatre of Blood (1973)
Directed by Douglas Hickox

Plot:
Insulted, snubbed and humiliated by the critics, a Shakespearian actor takes his brutally clever revenge. Horror ensues.

Reaction and Other Folderol:
"The critics have spoken...their last words"
-- Joe

One way that I stand out from the rest of the class is that I'm not a big fan of Vincent Price. I suspect that's because  I tend to associate him with the gothic horror films of 1960 or so, and those don't really do it for me. But this, from the early 1970s and set in contemporary times, was right up my alley.

There's a good mix of humor and violence, and Vincent Price outdoes himself as the actor, Lioneart. In truth, it's a plumb role for someone like him -- Shakespearian-trained but turned to horror.

The whole thing borrows heavily from Batman, (the 1960s series) in its realization of elaborate mechanisms for murder. Of course, where it deviates from that series is in the outcomes -- no one seemed to die in Batman, but the critics die in this -- often painfully.

I especially enjoyed the use of music. There were these lush orchestral pieces accompanying gore in ways that made for some great incongruity.

There were a couple things that kind of personalized the movie for me.

Back when I was a smartass college student writing reviews for campus newspapers I sometimes took unseemly delight in unfairly harsh criticisms. Sometimes, in fact, we the critics would gang up on a movie or record because -- well, because we were obnoxious and we could. Of course we were insignificant so our efforts didn't derail the careers of Bon Jovi or the Smiths, but I do look back on those episodes with a degree of regret. ToB reminded me of that chapter of my writing life. And, fortunately, I don't have to look over my shoulder wondering when some artist, upset over my undue jabs, will exact revenge. Or so I hope.

Years ago a family friend died in a ranching accident. She was dragged to death by her horse, so one particular scene reminded me of that. She was 18.

And, finally, there was an episode in a Freshman English course in college when a professor asked me my opinion about a poem. Without going into detail, I'll just say that I won him over with my refusal to back away from an opinion I had expressed. Of course, I wasn't trying to win him over; I just didn't see any sense in saying "oh, yes. that's great" after already saying it sounded like a greeting card. Turned out it was a greeting card, and the professor was truing to see whether I had the conviction to stand by my judgement.

But I don't think the personal memories were necessary for me to enjoy this film. Everything about it was so well done. So, while I went in with low expectations, I was surprised. I wanted to find an excuse not to give it a 10, but I really couldn't come up with one.

I think it was Joe who once said  "the unexpected tens are the tenniest tens of them all."

Ratings
Me: 10
Bob-O: 10
Christina: 9.9*
Dave: 10
Ethan: 10
Joe: 10

Sharon's reaction to the trailer: "That trailer has a lot of screeching. Also, cute horsey."
Cats: No cats, but there are a couple of delicious poodles.
____________________________________________________
*If not for the poodles dying, Christina may have given this a 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment