Tuesday, May 25, 2021

a part of my youth was wrong

We all have our memories from high school. I have vivid memories of the Zion Deli, which was on First Avenue between 15th and 16th Streets in Manhattan -- just around the corner from my High School, which was on 15th Street between First and Second Avenues.

I would, when I was occasionally feeling flush, go there for lunch. And I have told many people about that deli. Blair, for one, has heard me sing the praises of its sandwiches. Probably more times than she cares to recall. Of course, the deli closed in the mid-1980s -- not many years after I graduated from high school. And the high school moved to Battery Park City in the 1990s. So, well, that's that.

Anyway, I went looking on the interwebs today to see if I could find out anything about it. I couldn't find much except for this post in Ephemeral New York, a blog devoted to old-time New York. And what I learned shocked me. The place wasn't The Zion Delicatessen, as I had thought. It was Schwatrtzberg's Delicatessen. All those years, all those stories and conversations, and I never knew the correct name of the place.

My memories are a fraud.


No comments:

Post a Comment