Monday, April 9, 2018

album challenge day 8: dave edmunds

Anyone who knows me and my musical taste knows that I'm a big Dave Edmunds fan. And DE 7th, his seventh solo album, was where I started with him. On day one I chose a compilation of material by Ducks Deluxe, and noted that it was my rock and roll ground zero. Well, DE 7th is arguably ground one*.

Edmunds, as one of the Ducks' producers, was pictured on the back of that album, and I mistakenly thought he was part of the band. This solo album was a new release at that time, so it was displayed prominently in the store, and I bought it.

It is one of a handful of records that I adored from start to finish the first time I listened to it. ANd I was a fan forever. Fans don't generally consider it to be Edmunds' best work -- that distinction goes to Repeat When Necessary. And I can see the argument. But for me money, this record edges the other out.

Edmunds's sound is a bit more complex than it was on the four solo albums he did for  Swan Song records (backed, for the most part, by Rockpile). There's some bouncy accordians, horns, and some mandolin. He experiments with Zydeco. But he never loses sight of the roots rock that he was known for.

A favorite song? Hard to choose for this album, as it's an embarrassment of riches. But I'll present a few candidates and leave it at that.

0) "One More Night," a piano-driven ballad that is, stylistically, very different from the rest of the record.

1) "From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)," a Bruce-Springsteen-penned tale of rags to riches to ruin:


2) "Other Guys Girls," a relationship song with an ironic twist:

3) "Dear Dad" a lesser-known Chuck Berry tune (also with an ironic twist):

 4) "Louisiana Man" a bouncy tribute to the Cajun life:


*Yeah, that doesn't sound catchy, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment