Thursday, April 5, 2018

album challenge day 4: songs in the key of z

For the fourth day, I chose a various artists compilation -- Songs in the Key of Z -- lovingly curated by Irwin Chusid, possibly as a soundtrack to his book of the same name.

Z is a tribute to musical outsiders -- people who are giving it their all, making music as best they can, and maybe unaware of just how doubleplusungood they are. For some reason I don't fully understand I have a soft spot for a lot of the musical outsiders. They strike a chord with me. And, putting that aside, there are a bunch of tracks on this album that I like. I mean, really like. Not in an ironic "oh isn't this funny because it's awful" sense. I realize that this stuff isn't conventionally good, and that most people don't like it. But I do. Not that I like all of it.

This short film captures a lot of it...


No comments:

Post a Comment