Friday, April 6, 2018

album challenge day 5: the monkees

For my fifth day of the favourite albums challenge I went with The Monkees Greatest Hits.*


This was actually a tough decision to include because I generally think of it as a cheat to pick greatest hits collections. But I'm making an exception here because of what the Monkees have meant to me as a music fan.** And, by the way, this was the first album I ever bought.

The Monkees were the first musical group I ever got into. And, yes, it was because of their TV show. That was part of my after-school viewing schedule when it was on. I used to put a tape recorder by the TV to record the musical songs. And I still remember walking around the neighborhood with that crappy quality tape recorder playing, deludedly thinking I was cool. The first song on my tape was "Look Out, Here Comes Tomorrow." The second was "Sometime in the Morning." Then came "Randy Scouse Git." and "Valleri." Yeah, I remember that. And they stuck with me to this day. I still love the classic Monkees records.*** I love their movie, Head even though it being a self-centered pretentious effort.****

I gave some thought to picking one of their nine classic albums, but I realized that that didn't really make sense. All nine albums have some good stuff on them (yes, even Changes, which is much better than the dreck it is often regarded as). The first record I bought was this greatest hits package, so that's what I should list. And that's despite the fact that the eleven songs on this disc are most decidedly not my eleven favorite Monkees songs. Hey, none of them is "Shorty Blackwell."

*Despite the way they fucked their fans over with the way they released that reunion album, Good Times!, a couple years ago.
**Despite the way they fucked their fans over with the way they released that reunion album, Good Times!, a couple years ago.
***Despite the way they fucked their fans over with the way they released that reunion album, Good Times!, a couple years ago.
****Despite the way they fucked their fans over with the way they released that reunion album, Good Times!, a couple years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment